Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Volunteer


In gardening and botanical terminology, a volunteer is a plant that grows on its own, rather than being deliberately planted by a human farmer or gardener. Volunteers often grow from seeds that float in on the wind, are dropped by birds, or are inadvertently mixed into compost before it is used. In this case a corn stalk from last year's seed towers over this year's soybean crop.

7 comments :

Francisca said...

Perhaps I'm a volunteer too... :-D Lovely composition and PP, Anita.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This one certainly looks out of place.
Blessings,Ruth

Ashley Sisk said...

This looks like a painting. Beautiful.

More Than Words said...

I never heard of that terminology..but it does make sense!! Very cool!

Elizabeth Dianne said...

That cornstalk wanted to stand up and be counted, didn't it? Even if it is just one--it makes a huge difference!

A great lesson here--love it!

Brenda said...

This is a great picture. I have seen this often in a field riding through the planted crops.

Lisa said...

This is stunning.. Lovely Lovely photography.
I came from Ruths. Have a blessed Sunday